Sunday, July 3, 2016

It's a Wrap!

Sunday, July 3
We have been home for just about 24 hours and this trip already seems like something we dreamed. Honestly, I had such low expectations - at least in terms of how much fun it would be. I was thinking more along the lines of forced march - but was pleasantly surprised at every turn. It was SO. MUCH. FUN. It was the trip of a lifetime. Yes, I missed home after two weeks, but we just felt that we were in the "China groove" and it was truly hard to leave. 

I had to ask myself - what are the "takeaways"? 

Here are a few things I will miss about China. 
1. The people. Sure - there are tons of people who stare at us but there were many more who embraced us - and more importantly, embraced our girls - in particular their hometowns and even more in particular - their orphanages. It makes my heart sing that both SF and FS received such warm welcomes at their orphanages and were allowed to hang out with the kids who are still there. 



2. The miracles. I think our biggest miracle was Sophie the Wonder Guide. I don't know how we got lucky enough to have her path cross ours at just the right moment, but we are forever grateful. Sophie not only helped us traverse the language and cultural barriers within China, but she wrapped her arms around our family and showed us the beautiful, warm, kind, loving side of China. We not only had adventures with her - we had FUN! Sophie made the people of China actual people. She did more than translate - she let us into their lives. Other miracles - that FS's orphanage will move at the end of this year. If we hadn't traveled this summer - we would have been too late. Another miracle - the people of Nanping, who wrapped their love around SF in such a tangible way.



3. The other travel families. We had to part with our other travel families several times during our trip, but we always had a reunion to look forward to. It can be tough being on your own as a family - but every time we returned to the fold, we were welcomed back and could always count on laughs and entertainment. I know that my girls benefited tremendously from knowing that other girls were walking in their shoes simultaneously.



4. I am so proud of my girls. Even though they had their moments of teen attitude, overall they were good global citizens. They were polite to everyone (except Tony and me), and absolutely shined during their orphanage visits. It's HARD to have a bright hot spotlight shined on you at 14 years old - especially as a returned orphan. Can you imagine? Yet both rose to the occasion and really enjoyed their opportunities to interact with staff members and special needs babies and toddlers. Maybe my proudest moment? When Sophie the Wonder Guide told the Maonan staff at lunch that they didn't need to order special food for my girls because "they're good - they try everything." (And left the forks untouched.) I'm also proud of them because even though they complained about typical teenage things, they knew when NOT to complain. And I'm also proud that they looked after one another, despite being in each other's laps the entire time. They giggled their way through at least 75% of our outings and only had one quasi-physical-hilarious encounter in the lobby of the Garden Hotel in Guangzhou when FS tried to kick SF - repeatedly. 



5. Just "China." While the people were amazing, the country is staggering - in its breadth, its history, and its beauty. We can't believe that we had previously traveled to China twice but stayed in only two cities! I feel that this is like saying I visited the U.S. but only visited Miami and Atlanta. NOT a bad representation - but not a thorough one. And while we are still only scratching the surface of China, we got to scratch a lot MORE of the surface!

6. I want to go back. In my head, I was thinking, "this is my last trip to China." But after this trip? I am ready, willing, and able to go back. I love China and I already miss it!

Okay, and just for snicks, what makes me happiest about being home?
1. Having access to more than 5 outfits. I walked into my closet last night and just stopped to stare at my SHOES. I have been wearing one pair of shoes and one pair of sandals for over two weeks. We won't even go into the clothes. Today I got to choose ANYTHING I WANTED! So appreciative!

2. Unfettered internet access. Rather than spending 20 minutes trying to get Wifi access AND VPN access to maneuver around Chinese firewalls (okay and then asking Tony to make the VPN work for me), all I had to do today was turn on my computer and type a url. It's ridiculous how easy this blog post is compared with how difficult it has been over the past few weeks.

3. Food other than Chinese food. I have always said that I could eat Chinese food every day. I was wrong. Two weeks is enough. I adore dumplings, buns, rice, and noodles, but I need a break! Today I planned the menu for the coming week and, just this once, there will NOT be an Asian night. 

4. Working my way back to a normal day/night schedule. As predicted, just as I was becoming accustomed to a 12-hour time flip - it was time to flip back. Somehow, though, this time feels "right." To me at least. I'm glad to be back on the same clock as 99% of my friends. 

Thanks for reading my ramblings over the past few weeks. Honestly, I am still processing this trip. What I anticipated to be a forced march ended up being a heartfelt stroll through one of my favorite places on earth. 

Thank you, China. 

No comments: