Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Salt Lake City - Day 1

Day 1 dawned WAY too early. While my alarm
was set for 4:30, I woke up for good at 3am. At least I had plenty of time to get ready - but of course my cab was a little late.

Hard to believe, but the Security line at Dulles was enormous - though I found Lari and we made it through without too much trouble. Even managed to get a glimpse of Tamara in the mass of people working their way through Security.

Flight was easy, but freezing. The only interesting moment was when Lari saw another plane pass by on our left side and by the white color of her face, Tamara and I could tell that it was quite a bit too close for comfort. I am so glad I didn't see it.

No problem getting to the hotel - though quite a different experience to be going to a city and hotel in which we've already had a conference. Above is a photo of the Salt Palace from my hotel room. I am bummed that with my small camera I really didn't get the background mountains to show up. Unfortunately from the "hole" we are in in downtown, you really can't get an unobstructed view of the mountains - just glimpses between buildings. It is also pretty ugly here right now. There are several major construction projects around the hotel and the streets and air are REALLY dirty. Actually walked through mud when crossing the street to the CC yesterday. I'm sure that will make a nice impression on our attendees. It's also crappy that the nice mall that used to connect to the hotel is now an ENORMOUS hole in the ground. Apparently there used to be two malls here and they brilliantly decided to rip them both down simultaneously. Good thinking!

We managed to locate Maureen and had an early lunch at about 10:45 - since our stomachs were still on East Coast time. We were still waiting for the decorator to finish dragging out all our boxes anyway.

After lunch, we headed over to face the mountains of boxes. Fortunately everyone was great about dragging the boxes over to the Booth, while I ripped open each one to figure out what was inside. I'd say it took a good 5 1/2 hours to get it into some kind of decent shape. Steve and Linda Moorhead showed up around 2:30 and were incredibly helpful - even though I had to listen to Steve make his usual jokes! Ron Yuill, of course, walked in just as we were finishing up!

It was great to see everyone but we're all really bummed that Fred Ruda got sick and can't be here. He really is the heart of our little band and his absence is being keenly felt. I know Tamara is worrying about how to fill the huge gap he'll leave behind in Reg.

And even though I remember how dry it is here (reminder: Salt Lake City is in a desert) I stupidly did not bring a water bottle to the CC with me. I ended up taking at least a half hour scouring the place looking for a bottle. I found two Coke machines in the bowels of the place, but couldn't get them to take my dollar bills. I think it may be a Mormon tease - they really don't want anyone drinking those caffeinated beverages! The machines even had a big "Thirsty?" sign on them. Honestly, I was ready to break into the machine. I finally gave up and walked back to the hotel, where there was a Starbucks near the front door. I don't remember the last time I've been so happy to have water. I refilled that bottle two more times before we were done.

Mo was stuck in the CC until 6 when her security person arrived and I stayed with her and Brian for a while, but I was just so beat she sent me back to the hotel. I managed to get my Internet connection set up and called home to talk to the girls. Tried to do a video call, but managed to miss them. I'll be trying again this morning at 6:30 (8:30 for them). Tony set me up with a cool camera/microphone and, when working properly, the quality is pretty darn good. I know it will tickle the girls to be able to hear AND see me.

One funny story: I was getting in the elevator to meet everyone for a quick dinner in the bar. There was a guy getting on the elevator at the same time and he saw my Drexel sweatshirt. He said, "I guess I should know where Drexel is." I told him it was in Philly, and he says, "oh, well I'm from Virginia." I told him I was, too. He asked where and I said "Northern Virginia." Then his eyes get big and he asks WHERE in Northern Virginia. I answer "Herndon" and GUESS where the guy lives? Herndon! On the other side, near Elden Street. SO funny. At first I thought he was one of ours, but he is wisely here to ski instead. Talk about an incredibly small world!

Anyway, we managed to drag our poor tired carcasses to the bar for a quick dinner (salad and one glass of wine for me). Lari, Tamara, Mo and I ate with Ron, David McGee, Mike Fitzgerald, and Brian. Susan and the Fern people were at the next table. So odd that she never really wants to sit with us, even though we invited her several times. By the end of dinner, it was nearly 8 (10 back home) and after being up for so long, I was beat. I dragged myself upstairs, talked briefly with Tony, watched the last fifteen minutes of "Idol" and crashed.

This morning I woke up at about 5, but that's pretty good for me since it's 7 at home. I managed to sneak down the hall in my pjs to get myself a wonderful Diet Pepsi and even had a Go-Tart to go with it! So I'm set until I have to head over to the CC around 8. Even though we don't open until 11, the security leaves at 8 and the Booth is in a fairly vulnerable spot. I may even have enough energy for some last-minute adjustments in the booth.

So, Day 1 had no great adventures, but no great mishaps, either and I will definitely take that!

No comments: