Thursday, December 4, 2008

Nutcracker Death March - Day 4

I just read on someone else's blog that the busier you are, the less time you have to add to a blog - and yet that's when you have the most to talk about. One of those little ironies of life, I suppose.

I only have one thing to talk about lately, much to the chagrin of my family and friends, and that is Claire's and my involvement in The Nutcracker. Today is Day 4 of 8 and the first REALLY long day. 

I will bolt out of work at 3:30 and go directly to Claire and Syd's school to pick them up. I'll rush home with them, gather up our bags of stuff, gel Claire's hair to within an inch of its life, drop off Sydney, and then jump back into the car for the hour-long trip to Annandale, the site of the performance. We hope to arrive shortly after 5 - I am supposed to be there by 5 to start checking girls in, but there is only so much I can do. I've packed sandwiches for Claire and I to eat in the car on the drive over.

Tonight is a full dress/technical rehearsal and the longest to date. This is the only opportunity to rehearse on the actual stage and get the lighting, music, and costumes just right. Rumor has it that this rehearsal has typically gone on until 11pm and it only ends then because the parking garage closes at 11! 

Foolishly, as part of my four volunteer assignments, I signed up to chaperone this evening. Yesterday I received, via email, a six-page assignment sheet of responsibilities. My head was spinning as I read it. They are SO organized, so I'm not too worried on the one hand, but they're also very exacting, and making things "pretty" is not my strong suit. I think one of my main jobs will be to keep the younger girls quiet and clean for five hours. Again, I would rather be shot, but you gotta do what you gotta do. 

The upside is that Claire is still having the time of her life. She loves every second of it - but who wouldn't? She gets to wear a costume and do her part, and then hang out with her friends. It's the poor parents who end up doing so much of the heavy lifting. I'm drinking my third Diet Pepsi of the day just thinking about how I'll feel at 11 - a time at which I am normally fast asleep. 

The other upside is that this will all be over in three days. Thank goodness this will only occur once a year. 

No comments: