Monday, December 8, 2008

Nutcracker - The Epilogue

I don't even know where to begin. Saturday and Sunday were mostly a blur, but not a bad blur, surprisingly. Tired, yes, but feel like I was part of something big and pretty cool. Saturday afternoon I actually got to sit through the performance, which was a big treat - especially the sitting down part. Despite his horrible sense of direction, Joe made it to the theatre with about 60 seconds to spare and joined me for the show.

It was the first time I had seen much of the show - particularly Act I, in which Claire had no part. Very cool to see the costumes that I ironed and the makeup I helped to apply and the wings that I had pinned on, etc, etc. In other words, it felt good to know that I had helped in some small way to make the show a success. 

Claire and the other Little Dolls were adorable and got another "awwwww" from the sold out crowd. It was also cool to see her name in the program - almost spelled correctly (but I'm used to it - the spaces and lower cases of de la Paz throw pretty much everyone). 

The show was absolutely magical and to top it off, when Claire and I (and everyone else) left the theatre for the short dinner break, it was snowing! All the girls were entralled and even
 the oldest dancers were running around like little children. Claire and I each had a bowl of pasta and some yummy potstickers at Noodles & Company (see photo at right) before heading back for the second half of the double header.

I was working in the dressing room for the second show and I have to say that the more I do it, the easier it gets. It helps to have even a little experience with how to get costumes ready for all the parts - I even learned how to do the big red circular makeup cheeks that go on the soldiers and Bon Bons (certainly something that will look impressive on my resume). In any case, it seemed that I had "passed muster" with the head of the dressing room volunteers. She was giving me more things to do and even had me help some people who had even less experience than I did. Everything went surprisingly smoothly. We were out of there just before 10pm and home by 10:30.

The highlight of Saturday was that Claire was chosen to present the Sugar Plum Fairy with a bouquet onstage at the end of the show. I asked to sneak out of the dressing room to watch and was able to see it. Of course, I had ordered the DVD for the MORNING show, but now I'll have to switch it so I can have that moment on record.

By Sunday morning, I just wanted to GO and get the last show going so I could finally be DONE. Again, I was working the dressing room and was given even more responsibility - especially as to how all the costumes were to be packed since this was the final performance. Our volunteer "leader" actually wasn't even there - she went to finally see the show - so I really wanted things to run smoothly for her. This "shift" was a lot more work with all the packing up, but we had lots of help and with everyone pitching in, it all got done. This was the show that Tony, Sam, Sydney, and Alan attended.

It was funny that as I was dragging a rack of clothes backstage, I actually caught a glimpse of my dear husband who was handed the baton, so to speak. As I was finished packing up, he went on duty to help load the truck with all the "stuff" that accompanies this kind of show. I was too busy to even say hello. 

As surprising as it is to admit it, I'm really glad we participated in this ordeal called The Nutcracker. Claire got a LOT out of it, made lots of friends, got to be part of a big production, and just learned a lot. I even learned a few things (even more than how to glue on a clown's nose) and made some friends in the bargain.

No comments: