Monday, March 23, 2009

Louisville: T Minus 1

Somehow March has rolled around and it's once again time for me to hit the road for my annual conference. It's the 11th time I've done it and it never seems to get less stressful. Because the association that I work for hosts the conference, my coworkers and I just somehow feel RESPONSIBLE for the 1000+ attendees. The days are long and the duties are many. My friend Tamara has been saying for days, "you don't become ready, it just becomes your turn."

Don't let that suitcase in the photo fool you - there's nothing in it yet. It seems like I spent all day yesterday preparing things like my camera and my iPhone and doing laundry. I hope to be doing actual packing this afternoon and then spend the evening wondering what I've forgotten. Then I take off tomorrow morning for Louisville. 

The hardest part is definitely having to leave my family. At least now they're all old enough to understand the deal. Even Claire, who is most sensitive to my absences said, "I'll be fine. You'll bring me something, right?" I think I am most bummed about missing Joe's birthday - his 20th on Wednesday - since I've never missed any of my kids' birthdays. We had a great dinner for him last night and he was able to open his gifts, so I think he'll be fine. Plus, he has class on Wednesday evening. 

The other difficulty is that every other person in my family (all five of them) are sick. They have varying degrees of colds, sore throats, and in Tony's case, pink eye! I don't even want to go in the house at this point - since I have no desire to get sick on the trip. 

I will wear several hats for the next few days. The primary job is to set up, manage, and work our "Resource Booth" - basically our "store" of publications and other items that we sell to attendees. Secondarily, I am the official photographer for the conference. So I do a lot of time running to various events, snapping photos, and running back out. Finally, I am giving my own presentation this year - on how to write articles for our journal - on Friday. Those who know me may know that public speaking is not my forte. I am MUCH more comfortable behind a camera or computer. 

So...stay tuned. Should be an interesting week. 




No comments: