Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day 1 in Paris


Flight was uneventful. I actually dozed a bit but sam got stuck next to a hell child who was flying all the way from San Francisco to Paris and didn't stop misbehaving for very long.

Managed to work our way thru de Gaulle and get to the terminal from which we could catch the train to the city. Interesting ride in - fairly ugly outside the city with every exposed inch of concrete covered in graffiti. We figured out the Metro like pros UNTIL we got to our stop (Vavin) and the car doors didn't open. We just looked at one another helplessly. It finally dawned on us that each door has a bizarre latch apparatus and won't open unless someone actually flips it. So we ended up one stop from where we wanted to be.

By the time we emerged from underground (and in the wrong place) we were completely turned around and ended up dragging suitcases thru the streets of Paris for quite a distance - in the wrong direction. We eventually worked it out and found the hotel.

Our room wasn't quite ready, so we wandered around the Montparnasse neighborhood for an hour and grabbed a bite to eat from a nearby patisserie. Delicious.

After checking in we ventured forth to the Marais District, which we loved. Lots of cool little places there to see and it was gorgeous. My favorite (as per Rick Steves' recommendation) was Place des Vosges. Absolutely spectacular.

Afterwards sam and I bought a baguette from a little shop and then got some cheese and strawberries from a supermarche. Then we sat out on a bench and ate while all of Paris strolled by. Really, really cool.

Our next goal was to buy the four day museum pass - but it has to be purchased FROM a museum. So we aimed for the Picasso museum - and missed several times. Finally found it and got the passes but SOMEHOW managed to lose our super-detailed map. Arg! I loved that map in the short period of time I got to know it. C'est la vie!

Next we wandered back across the Seine and while I tried REALLY hard not to take in too much of Notre Dame (which we officially tour tomorrow morning) I just couldn't help myself. It was just magnificent and I can't wait to go back in the morning. I was trying to take a photo and kept backing away to get a better shot. Every time I turned around to get my perspective I was shocked and delighted each time that I was truly seeing Notre Dame. I kept thinking about my ninth grade art history teacher, Mr. Maier, who did such a great job of teaching us about the beauty and history of the structure. (Whats not to love about flying buttresses after all?)

Next came a quick side trip to the Sorbonne where I actually was hoping I might locate a sweatshirt to add to my collection of college apparel. No go. No one in without a pass and no handy version of a Barnes and Noble campus nearby.

It was getting late in the afternoon and we stopped for yet another quick nosh. (we have decided we prefer noshing to larger, more expensive meals). So we split a crepe and we each got a glass of wine. Yes I let her order one since she is two years OVER the drinking age here.

Next stop: la Tour Eiffel. Not sure why except it is one of the few sites not covered by our museum passes, which begin tomorrow. Hate to sound like a party pooper but it just didn't impress me. Maybe I should try to come back when it's lit up at night.

Now we are back in the room and trying to recharge a little to stay awake after a very long day. Next is dinner and then BED. Can't wait to sleep horizontally tonight!

2 comments:

Martha said...

Sounding busy already! I can so relate to wrong tube stops and being a bit in the wrong place...did that a few times in London! Can't wait to hear about the museums!

Belinda said...

Was the child's name Hugh by chance!! I laughed out loud when I read the 1st paragraph because that is so going to be me one day if we ever decide to fly with Mr. Hugh...People are going to hate me.