Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

June 26 Actually it didn't and that works just fine for me. I am over quota on surprises and bumps for this trip and I enjoyed a day of things going according to plan. First of all, it's just Damn Cool that the Colosseum is only a few blocks away. One left turn and then BAM! Colosseum. It's probably not normal that I go looking for things in the places they are supposed to be and yet I'm always shocked to see them. (But it's the COLOSSEUM!)

First glimpse of the Colosseum just a few blocks from our hotel.
We dragged everyone out fairly early to be at the big C when it opened at 8:30. Once again - so glad we did since it turned into a mob scene fairly quickly. I can't imagine what it's like later in the day. Again, just standing outside is awe-inspiring. You can't wrap your brain around the fact that it's over 2,000 years old and yet still, for the most part, standing. To think that things could be built on such a grand scale so long ago - I get pretty thrilled. While touring and reading all the information, I was struck by how relatively accurate the movie "Gladiator" was in terms of its portrayal of the various staged spectacles and use of animals, etc. I could have spent all day there. Nevertheless, we had to move on, and so we crossed over to Palatine Hill and then the Forum. By then it was again super hot out, but those thoughtful Romans have running water fountains all over so we were able to refill and stay relatively hydrated. The Forum was really, really cool (my professional opinion) and I could have spent another whole day here, but the girls were starting to cook in the noon sun, so we decided to pursue some lunch.

After lunch we walked completely across the city to Borghese Gardens. Walking along Via Veneto both ways was very entertaining. The park was just okay, but to be fair, we were so hot and tired, we didn't venture in very far. Everyone was just really wiped out from the heat and days of trudging, so I suggested some gelato and a late afternoon siesta. Good call - just what we all needed. We returned to our apartment for a few hours of book reading on our terrace. Heaven! Later, I took a solo trip to a nearby market and I have to say it was fun trying to blend in a bit. I understood bits of conversations and by now have a decent grasp of Italian market protocol. Just strolling down a Roman street with my purchases, on the way back to my apartment, was very enjoyable.

Second gelato stop of the day. It's just SO good!
After resting up, we headed out for yet another great meal, followed by a stroll. The Colosseum called to me once more and I had to answer. One more look - in the waning sunlight and with the moon rising - belissimo! On our way home, we stopped for yet MORE gelato! Yes - twice in one day (though I abstained because I was still too full from dinner). A sweet end to a very sweet day. Only one day to go! Tomorrow is All Things Vatican!

No comments: