Saturday, June 23, 2012

In Pursuit of Pizza

June 22 This morning we decided that the troops deserved a well-earned sleep in. So while Sam and I enjoyed the gorgeous early morning view from our terrace, Tony and Syd slept in while Claire pretended to sleep while actually playing with her iTouch. We really enjoyed the slow start. We finally left our apartment a bit after 10 to head down the crazy, windy hill into Sant'Agnello, where we easily made it to the train station after only 15 minutes of walking. The town is adorable and we need to make time to come back and do some exploring.


So, yes, we got right back on the horse - in this case the Circumvesuviana train. It was a much better experience today primarily because we weren't dragging luggage and we were able to find seats. I did the girls' hair to pass the time. At one point I had Syd sit on my lap so that an older lady could sit. She was so sweet and acknowledged that "la piccola" (the little one) had been sitting there. After the 70 minute ride we emerged into Naples with no earthly idea where we were. The only map I had wasn't detailed at all. I knew I was looking for one of two pizza places, but I didn't want to say that when I asked directions. We figured it out and located Pizza Trianon just around noon.

Pizza in Naples - out of this world!


What can I say? It was totally worth the trip - even if we left right after pizza, which thankfully we did not. After the "nom fest," we hoisted ourselves up and headed over to the Archeological Museum. It was neat to see the Pompeii relics, but I wouldn't rush back. Next we just wandered the city for a while and I purchased a new toothbrush (phew!) and Sam found a Napolitano dessert (sfogiatelle?) that she was looking for. Next we took the long walk to the Port of Napoli area to catch the jet boat back to Sorrento. Loved it! Forty five minutes of sea breezes, heart-stopping views, and bouncing around on the Bay of Naples. It beat the hell out of the CV train.

Jet boat from Naples to Sorrento. A highlight for me.


Sorrento was nuts. First, it's built on top of a cliff, so after exiting the ferry, you have to do a lot of climbing. You get winded and sweaty. Again. Sam and I did an awful job of orienteering in the actual town, which we saw more of than we intended. After a visit to a local lemon/orange nursery, we took dinner more seriously and began our search for the spot we had chosen. Something about buffalo in the name. We spent a good half hour searching, stopping often to ask directions. Just whe we literally threw our hands up in the air in the middle of a back alley, I glanced to my right and just barely caught sight of the sign. So glad I did because the food was phenomenal. Mine was pasta involving San Marzano tomatoes, which I am here to tell you were worth getting lost for.

No comments: