Sunday, June 19, 2016

Forks All Week

Sunday, June 19
First things first - we are safely here in Beijing. And for the first time in I don't know how many trips we've taken, not a single aspect went awry. We left for Dulles at 9:15 Saturday morning, thanks to our personal Über driver, Joe. I found it telling that both Joe and Tony independently referred to it as "Juber." 

At Dulles, our business class seats granted us entre to the United Club, my first - but hopefully not last experience there. We loved the cozy quiet area to relax and snack while waiting for our flight - which was 100% on time. Next we found our ridiculously nice business class seats and were treated like rock stars for the next 14 hours.

 
 Smooth flight - great food (as great as it can get on a plane in any case) - and a comfortable seat. What more could you possibly ask for? Oh - and I did get the answer to my hypothesis about it staying light during out entire flight - it did indeed. Here's a photo from above Baffin Sea - which does not look especially hospitable at this, or probably any other, time of year, So cool (pun intended).
 

We landed in Beijing at about 2:00pm (2am at home). It was just a completely different experience than our first two trips. Traveling for 14 rather than 24 hours makes a big difference. Beijing's airport is enormous and, for the most part, grossly under air conditioned. 96 degrees and we felt every bit of it as we stood in lines lasting over an hour. No big deal in the grand scheme. 

The girls' favorite moment came in the customs area when I was singled out from our family to have my suitcase xrayed. The girls asked why and T told them it was random. But then I told them that I had been the victim of racial profiling. They almost couldn't walk from laughing. Then they made the funniest connect of all, "they are going to hand you forks all week!" This is in reference to the countless times we have gone to Asian restaurants and everyone gets chopsticks except me. Unfair since I believe myself the most proficient of the four of us. 

 Outside the international arrivals were throngs of I am guessing 500 people, all trying to find their fares or loved ones. Lucky for us, our first guide in China, Henry, is very tall and we were easily able to spot our name on his sign. He got us situated and popped us into a car while he waited for two other families. The ride into Bejing proper was crowded but very smooth.

Our hotel is great and I'm stunned to discover we are just a few blocks from the Forbidden City. As tempted as I was to go take a peek, we restricted our late afternoon stroll to the amazing shopping area nearby. There are high end American stores adjacent to tiny Chinese market alleys. So cool. More hilarity ensued when a Chinese family pantomimed by pointing to their camera and then to me. I assumed they wanted me to take a photo of them Nope. They wanted a photo OF me with daughter. I made sure to make the classic Asian peace sign in the photo. The girls were dying. 

And while I encouraged them to sample some of the local fare (see one delicious example here)
 they instead opted for some Chinese candy and bubble tea. FYI - though not evident in the photo, those scorpions were still moving. : /
 
Finally we made our way back to our hotel and located an awesome dumpling shop recommended by Henry. As we stood in line, trying to choose our food, who walked up but the only person we currently know in Beijing - Henry himself - who was helping another heritage family get acclimated. There are eight families on this heritage tour with us - though people will be popping on and off the tour to do their orphanage visits based on location.

 

So now we are happily ensconced in our hotel room and trying to stay awake for a bit in order to get acclimated to the 12-hour time difference. Tomorrow we are off to the Temple of Heaven and then to visit a hutong. Hopefully we'll still have a shot at those scorpions if we change our minds.

No comments: