Friday, February 6, 2009

Facebook - The Insidious Obsession


Lately, I've found that I haven't had as much time to blog. Why? Because suddenly I got a flood of new "friends" on Facebook and I've been using all my "lazy surfing time" (and there's not much of that) to follow their lives. I've stumbled onto several friends from high school and had a great time catching up on what's been going on with them for the past, oh, 30 years! I've also joined a group for people who were on our first adoption trip to China and really enjoyed seeing some of the posted photos from that first trip.

I have to say, that it's been fun for me. I am a natural extrovert, but I'm not always good with people face-to-face. So this type of venue - electronic friendship is a great compromise for me. I've even (finally) convinced my dear husband to take the plunge and create a profile. 

There was even an article in The Washington Post this morning, an examination of why people get hooked into sites like Facebook. Apparently, we like to draw attention to ourselves. Actually, that's probably fairly accurate.

No comments: