Monday, October 27, 2008

CICU

Just got back from an extended visit with Hugh. When I first got into his room around 1:15 he was just starting to wake up a little, but try to picture a guy who just got hit by a truck trying to wake up. He actually looks better than I thought he would - he does have the telltale swelling and the ventilator, but looks pretty much the same otherwise.

At one point his heartrate started to accelerate a bit so they asked me to "step outside." You gotta hate that. But when I came back in ten minutes, all was fine. They think he was simply in pain, which has a tendency to make the heart beat faster.

So I perch myself in the room and watch the many medical professionals do their jobs. It's remarkable how much they have to keep track of. At night they must dream of untangling yards and yards of tubes. Hugh's primary nurse is a lovely woman named Remy, who has a killer Caribbbean-sounding accent. I love the way she says, "Mr. McVEH."

When he starts to move around, I go over and hold his hand and it's like he's trying so hard to talk. All of you try to picture Huey, NOT BEING ABLE TO TALK. It's really making him agitated. I have warned all the nurses that they may actually prefer him with the breathing tube in. : )

I'll head back in now but have found out that I'm allowed to use my computer in there, so I'll try to do a few more updates today.

Love to all. Thanks for listening to my ramblings. Our boy is doing good. I swear he's trying to tell me he loves me.

No comments: