Sunday, October 26, 2008

In Baltimore






The first leg of today's journey, from Herndon to Hagerstown went MOSTLY well. Except, that for reasons beyond my understanding, every time I drive to Hagerstown there is an unwritten law that major construction must occur and MUST block all but one lane of traffic. So, in a freaky repeat of my last trip to H'town, I SAT on top of a mountain and crept along. Good thing I left a little early. At least the foliage was nice!




Only stopped briefly in H'town - just long enough for Huey to do his final packing. Thankfully, I did remember to offload the lasagne and pie. It was a little tough to see Mom and Hugh have to say goodbye for what will most likely be five or six days apart. But they were both VERY upbeat and joking about how much trouble she would get into while Hugh is gone. Here's the happy couple just before we left.


The trip from H'town to Baltimore was thankfully uneventful, other than some bad traffic on 695. We found the lovely Hampton Inn with no problem and even passed the UMMC on the way - looked like a very short walk. After checking in, Hugh and I went in search of some dinner and he suggested we try the cafeteria at the Medical Center as a chance to "try out" the walk before morning. It was an easy walk, but the cafeteria was closed. So we ended up walking around the Camden Yards area in search of food. Our hotel literally faces Camden Yards - too bad there's no game. We finally found some great crabcakes and a draft beer at the back of the Hilton Hotel. While we ate and watched the beginning of Game 4 of the World Series, Huey regaled me with lots of great stories. He seems in very good spirits.


A quick walk (and one more quick story) got us back to the hotel. It really is a pretty part of the city - here's a photo I took on our walk. We made sure Hugh had a wake up call set up (I'm depending on my Treo to wake me up - though I did set two separate alarms. Then we said goodnight - me to blog and Hugh to go do his first of two head-to-toe pre-surgery scrubs with a special brush.


So - goodnight all. Hopefully I'll find Internet at the Medical Center and be able to post lots of updates tomorrow. I promise to take good care of "our Huey."
Love,
Kath

No comments: