Friday, October 31, 2008

Friday 5pm Update

Just completed my now daily call with Mom. She called as I was finishing the cut-out painting of my living room (yes, even with everything else going on, I am determined to paint). I managed to finish the painting and then start the pre-trick or treating dinner, all while continuing the conversation.

The update is that he's most likely going to stay at UMMC, at least until Monday. They're definitely going to have him move to a live-in rehab facility, but Mom has no idea how long he'll stay there (despite my repeated requests for her to ask). She spoke with the cardiac care unit's case worker, who is trying to find him a bed in a facility near Hagerstown. Because his status has been changed from "sub-acute" (or something like that) to "acute" (due to his age and the type of surgery), there are fewer facilities from which to choose. The only one really close to Mom is the actual hospital in Hagerstown. But since it's (apparently) always tricky to find a bed, Mom and the case worker were discussing other nearby hospitals that may be viable. A few that were mentioned were in Martinsburg and Chambersburg. I suggested that she also mention the ones down here (Reston, Fair Oaks, Fairfax) so that at least I would be able to see him while he's in Rehab (sure wish I knew how long he would be there).

All I know is that first he has some physical rehab (walking, etc) and THEN he has cardio rehab. I'm not at all clear on how this works and neither does mom. Lots of things to figure out. I offered to go and pick him up on Monday, if he's sprung, but she thinks they may transport him via ambulance, which makes sense.

She told me that he was a bit depressed this morning, which I can understand. He's such a people person and isn't able to be around his people. So, I'm going to make sure I get to see him - hopefully tomorrow afternoon. Plus, if I try to go on Sunday, he'll probably throw me out if it's during the Steelers game! Let's hope his heart is strong enough to take THAT kind of stress!

That's all for now. Time to go make dinner and get my little trick-or-treaters ready for action!

Happy Hallowe'en!

No comments: