Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tuesday PM Update

Well folks, we finally had a "little" drama. Very little, fortunately. Yesterday (Monday) Hugh's hemoglobin and hemocrit were getting a bit low. This was a concern to the medical people because it MIGHT have suggested an internal bleed. His reading had dropped from 9 point something to 8 point something. If he hit 8, they would want to do a transfusion.

Side note here: I have a coworker who is undergoing similar issues - she's taught me a little bit about hemoglobin and transfusions. She's actually had hemoglobin readings as low as the 6s! So, knowing that her situation is not acute in any way, I suspected that this would not be a dangerous situation for Hugh, and it wasn't.

This morning, apparently, he woke up feeling great. He was able to do his therapy and didn't experience any shortness of breath until he was nearly done. A big improvement. Also helping his cause, Mom's back was better today - she felt well enough to go and pay and visit. Hopefully they had some good quality time together today.

I spoke to Denise this evening on Mom's behalf. She said that the official verdict is that Hugh is anemic. They will be doing a transfusion, but they don't expect it to be any kind of a big deal.

That's all I know for now. More as it becomes available.

1 comment:

Belinda said...

these updates are great. I'm glad he was feeling better this AM and I'm glad you got the "inside scoop" from a co-worker on the situation.makes me feel better.