Saturday, November 1, 2008

Hugh on the Road to Recovery - Saturday




I had a GREAT visit with Hugh today. He is about 150% better than the last time I saw him. He seemed so much like his old self that it just really made me feel great. See for yourself by clicking "play" on the video posted above.


Joe came with me today and we arrived at the UMMC at about 3pm on Saturday. I am an old hat by now and I know exactly where to park and where to go for everything. It was great to be able to bypass the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit and go to the "Telemetry" unit where Hugh is in a "normal" room.


When Joe and I arrived, Hugh was buried in a book, but he was happy to surrender it and launched into another series of his great stories. I could have let him talk all day - it was just so wonderful to hear him back to himself. I did regale him with several stories of what had transpired during his recovery, including the roaming clouds on his ceiling - he does remember that.


At one point we were talking about Mom and he started to tear up, so I knew I had to throw in some levity on the double. So I told him the story of Mom setting off the alarm and the police coming. I had him laughing out loud in no time and he wasted no time telling Mom that he knew about her adventure when he talked to her on my cell phone.


His biggest complaint has been the food at UMMC. So, we checked with the nurse and she gave her okay for Joe and me to buy him a Subway turkey and cheese sandwich (with lettuce, tomato, and a LITTLE bit of mayo). I sent Joe down to get him a foot-long sub so he'd have something good to eat today AND tomorrow for dinner.


A bit later who shows up but Denise and Dean. It was so great to see Denise and, believe it or not, it was my first opportunity to meet Dean. He's just as sweet as Denise described him and we had a great visit all around. Hugh seemed to have a great time regaling us with even more stories of his adventures at UMMC.


The latest update is that he should theoretically be moved to a rehab facility on Monday. The search is still on for a "bed" in a facility that can provide the type of rehab that he needs. Due to location, first choice is Washington County Hospital in Hagerstown. Second choice would be the hospital in Frederick, or somewhere else nearby. He tells me that he's surprised that he really has trouble walking. They do make him get up and walk around three times each day. Yesterday he was able to climb 12 steps, which I think is amazing.

At about 5, we left Hugh to his Subway sandwich and Joe even joked that he couldn't even wait for us to get out of the room before he tore into it. The poor guy must have really been desperate for decent food.

Here are a few more pics from today:

This one is Hugh, holding his "heart." It's a pillow with a heart diagram on it that he uses to hold to his chest when he coughs - still VERY painful.





This photo is fairly self-explanatory - Hugh is posing for a picture with his Subway Turkey and Cheese Sandwich. A great way to picture him getting through his (hopefully) last day at UMMC tomorrow.







1 comment:

Belinda said...

He DOES look great! Thanks for sharing and for keeping us posted.