Sunday, December 9, 2007

'Tis the Season...







Even though yesterday was every bit as over scheduled as I feared, everything actually went well and we got through without any major hitches.
The piano recital was terrific and Claire got through it without any problem at all. She was 100% focused - on the candy cane she could have after she finished. She had barely gotten up from the piano when she turned to me and said, "Can I have a candy cane now"? She had to wait a few seconds - some of the residents of the assisted-living center where the recital was being held wanted to know how old she was. She did respond, which surprised me. On the way over to the snack table, one of the dads said to me, "she's amazing." I think she is, but that's my job!
After a brief relaxation period, we headed out for a Pre-Nutcracker dinner. We chose a Japanese restaurant that was new to us and enjoyed it very much. Soon we were at the Nutcracker as performed by the Reston Conservatory. I have to say that the girls' faces at this performance is absolutely one of the highlights of the season for me. They are nothing short of enthralled for nearly three hours as they watch the "big girls" dancing onstage. Their eyes are like saucers and they barely move the entire time. I did have one humorous moment when Claire leaned over and whispered to me, conspiratorially, "there are musicians under the stage!" I hated to burst her bubble - the music was prerecorded. A great evening all around.
This morning we set out relatively early to cut down a Christmas tree. We returned to our favorite farm, Jacobsen's, despite the steady morning rain. Fortunately, the rain did let up just about the time we arrived. Unfortunately, the damage was already done in terms of the mud EVERYWHERE. Tony and I are planners, however, so we had plenty of plastic bags at the ready for boots. The selection was paltry, but we did manage to find a tree that pleased everyone and Tony got it cut down in record time. The wet ground may have been a factor in his speed!
So now the tree is up and decorated and the only remaining challenge is keeping the cats from sleeping on the tree skirt. Toby and Callie have been doused with the squirt gun repeatedly, but something about Christmas trees just seems to call to them. With the tree up, it is definitely beginning to feel a lot like Christmas!

No comments: